Saturday, January 19, 2013

DIY Cupcake Tower


I baked the most delicious cupcakes. I hate to brag, but these were not ordinary cupcakes. They were filled with rich, dark Belgian chocolate and Belgian framboise (raspberry) beer.

I have my Mom to thank (or blame!) since she shared the cookbook Intoxicated Cupcakes with me. The cupcakes also didn't last long around my house, which is why I don't have a photo!

But they did inspire me to make my own cupcake stand. My recon started where most creative ventures do these days, on Pinterest. From there I went to the local thrift shop and Target to get the supplies I needed, for a total of $15.
DIY Cupcake Stand

What You Need:
  • 3 assorted candle sticks
  • 3 food-safe plates
  • Spray paint
  • Super glue or super strong adhesive 
How To:
  • Paint candle sticks, glue plates on top, and viola!  
I spray painted the sorry looking brass candle stick and left the other two plain since they kinda matched. Then I super glued each plate on top of each candle stick. You can stack them all on top of each other if you're feeling brave, or use them as separate, but coordinated stands in a trio. And of course they can hold things other than cupcakes!

Now don't try putting these creations in the dishwasher and don't blame me if your super glue doesn't hold. This is a cheap way to make cute stands for a party and won't cost much more than what you'd pay for disposable stands.

I can't wait to test them out next weekend, and to whip up another batch of those yummy Belgian Beauty cupcakes while we have family in town!

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

6 comments:

  1. mhmm sounds so yummy. I just made a batch of double chocolate and vanilla but stuck some lindor balls in the middle half baked. Yummy! I was also just looking these up on pinterest as well for a 1st birthday coming up. Wish I could find a decent model to use for decorating/spinning AND display. Have fun this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What a delicious idea about the Lindor truffles, that makes me want to bake some right now! I can't wait to see pix from your party, I bet it will be amazing. How is it that Nathan has gotten so big so quickly? And with another one on the way. You are brave girl, love it!!!

      Delete
  2. Very pretty, cool how easily you can make your own stand!
    xo
    Tiffy
    http://www.CuteLA.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tiffy! And I'm happy to report they held up reasonably well (one party's worth anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute Jes! Love the blue and green.

    ReplyDelete